In Linares there were
working at the same time five important foundries (La Cruz, Arroyo Hidalgo, La Esperanza, La Tortilla
y San Luis) and three more in La Carolina. In them, the galena was subjected to
the metallurgical lead obtaining process.
La Cruz Foundry was created in 1830
by the marquis
of Remisa and later was bought to the Neufville family of Paris. It was the
last foundry closed in the district in 1986 and still preserve several precious remains.
Thomas Sopwith in 1874, became in 1885 as the most modern and complete in Europe.